Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bullshit




Its taken me a while to address this, but I'll do my best to make up for lost time. I'm sure you all know by now that ESPN College Gameday will be visiting Blacksburg, Virginia on September 1st for the Virginia Tech-East Carolina game. I can't display to you how much I hate this move by ESPN and its affiliates. However, there is one game on Sep. 1st that is critical to the college football scene and that is Tennessee vs. Cal in Berkeley. A SEC-Pac-10 showdown with marquee players such as DeSean Jackson, Nate Longshore, Eric Ainge, Eric Berry, and coaches Phil Fulmer and Jeff Tedford. I am in no way endorsing the Hippies up North, but this is a game that will truly kick-off the season in amazing fashion and eyes around the country will be watching.

Back to Blacksburg, a town that was just recently torn apart by a savage gunman. This man. And ESPN feels that sending its "healing" crew of Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, and Desmond Howard will help heal the wounds? The people at Blacksburg are trying to move on from the terrible tragedy and most will tell you that they don't want to be reminded of the massacre again. And to be honest, many Americans don't want to tune in, beer and burger in hand with happy faces, to see shitty montages of that dreadful day played over and over to the sudden seriousness of Scooter and Herbstreit. Virginia Tech students will be thrilled for football season again, I'm sure. But in no way does this game warrant a visit from ESPN College Gameday. I digress.

Another thing I can't stand is the idea that some people say Virginia Tech football players have pressure to win and play for the victims. That is the largest pile of dog shit I have ever heard. If these players winning is so critical to the psyche of Tech Students, why not give them some help. Lets call Les Miles and ask him to lay down for the victims of Virginia Tech in Week 2 of the season. We are talking about 19-20 year olds who play football for Christ's sake. Were they not scarred by the tragedy? How does one "heal" by playing football? Does it make the students forget about what happened or take their mind off of it? If thats the case, then why show up? I can already see a student at Virgina Tech whose best buddies were blasted in the face by Cho Seung-hui, and 3 months later saying, "Geez, I hope we beat East Carolina because that would really help me get over the loss of my friends and the emotional and psychological damage that history's worst school massacre has caused me and my schoolmates. Or even better, having Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit set up shop in front of the Norris Building and relive that day in April will help make me feel loved and I'll soon forget that terrible day." Wishful thinking, I guess.

If ESPN wants to help, send some money to their psychology department, start up some scholarships, but don't subject the students and the rest of the country to another video of the deadliest massacre in school history, in high definition. Ditch this bullshit. I won't be watching.

No comments: